Julie Rovner is leader Washington correspondent and host of KHNâs weekly well being coverage information podcast, âWhat the Well being?â A famous knowledgeable on well being coverage problems, Julie is the writer of the seriously praised reference e book âWell being Care Politics and Coverage A to Z,â now in its 3rd version.
This week, the eyes of the country are on Texas, the place a federal pass judgement on who previously labored for a conservative Christian advocacy workforce is ready to come to a decision whether or not the abortion capsule mifepristone can keep available on the market. Mifepristone is part of a two-pill routine that now accounts for greater than part of the abortions in america.
In the meantime, Novo Nordisk, some other of the 3 huge drug corporations that dominate the marketplace for diabetes therapies, has introduced it is going to reduce the cost of lots of its insulin merchandise. Eli Lilly introduced its cuts early this month. However the push for extra inexpensive insulin from activists and participants of Congress isn’t the one explanation why for the trade: As a result of quirks in the best way the drug marketplace works, slicing costs may if truth be told save the firms cash ultimately.
This weekâs panelists are Julie Rovner of KHN, Jessie Hellmann of CQ Roll Name, Sarah Karlin-Smith of the Red Sheet, and Alice Miranda Ollstein of Politico.
CQ Roll Name
Alice Miranda Ollstein
Some of the takeaways from this weekâs episode:
- The federal pass judgement on analyzing the decades-old approval of mifepristone may factor a call at any time after a listening to in large part at the back of closed doorways, all over which he gave the impression open to limiting get entry to to the drug.
- Democratic governors search to counter the nippiness of Republican statesâ warnings to pharmacies about distributing mifepristone, and a separate lawsuit in Texas seeks to set a precedent for punishing individuals who arenât scientific suppliers for aiding any individual in acquiring an abortion.
- In pandemic information, Congress is shifting ahead with law that might power the Biden management to declassify intelligence associated with the origins of covid-19, whilst the editor of Cochrane Evaluations posted a rationalization of its not too long ago revealed protecting find out about, noting it’s âfaultyâ to mention it discovered that mask aren’t efficient.
- Most sensible federal well being officers despatched an peculiar letter to Floridaâs surgeon common, caution that his embody of vaccination incorrect information is destructive, even fatal, to American citizens. Whilst covid vaccines include some possibility of destructive well being results, contracting covid carries a better possibility of deficient results.
- Novo Nordiskâs announcement that it is going to reduce insulin costs places force on Sanofi, the remainder insulin maker that has but to regulate its costs.
- The Veterans Well being Management will duvet Leqembi, a brand new Alzheimerâs drug. The verdict comes as Medicare considers whether or not it is going to additionally duvet the drug. Professionals warning that new medicine shaking up the weight-loss marketplace may turn out expensive for Medicare.
- Washington is eyeing adjustments to federal regulations that might have an effect on the observe of drugs. One trade would power well being plans to hurry up âprior authorizationâ selections through well being insurers and building up transparency round denials, which supporters say would lend a hand sufferers higher get entry to wanted care. Every other proposal would ban noncompete clauses in contracts, together with in well being care. Arguments for and in opposition to the trade each cite the problem of doctor burnout â even though they disagree on whether or not the ban would make the issue higher or worse.
Plus, for âfurther credit score,â the panelists counsel well being coverage tales they learn this week that they believe you must learn, too:
Julie Rovner: âTradeoffsâ podcastâs âThe Conservative Conflict Over Abortion Bans,â through Alice Miranda Ollstein and Dan Gorenstein
Alice Miranda Ollstein: Politicoâs âSharpton Dodges the Highlight on Newest Push to Ban Menthol Cigarettes,â through Julia Marsh
Sarah Karlin-Smith: Attractâs âWith New Regulation, You Can Be expecting Extra Remembers to Hit the Attractiveness Business,â through Elizabeth Siegel and Deanna Pai
Jessie Hellmann: The New York Instancesâ âOpioid Agreement Hinders Sufferersâ Get admission to to a Vast Array of Medication,â through Christina Jewett and Ellen Gabler
Additionally discussed on this weekâs podcast:
To listen to all our podcasts,Â click on right here.
KHN (Kaiser Well being Information) is a countrywide newsroom that produces in-depth journalism about well being problems. At the side of Coverage Research and Polling, KHN is likely one of the 3 primary working techniques at KFF (Kaiser Circle of relatives Basis). KFF is an endowed nonprofit group offering knowledge on well being problems to the country.
USE OUR CONTENT
This tale will also be republished at no cost (main points).
We inspire organizations to republish our content material, without spending a dime. Right hereâs what we ask:
You should credit score us as the unique writer, with a link to our khn.org web page. If imaginable, please come with the unique writer(s) and âKaiser Well being Informationâ within the byline. Please keep the links within the tale.
Itâs essential to notice, now not the entirety on khn.org is to be had for republishing. If a tale is categorised âAll Rights Reserved,â we can not grant permission to republish that merchandise.
Have questions? Tell us at [email protected]